Monday, January 19, 2009

Fred Stone Injured While Playing Basketball

Winston-Salem, N.C. (AP) - For Immediate Release - January 18, 2009:

Pineapple Cup participant Fred Stone severed a tendon while shooting hoops with Wake Forest practice squad members on Thursday night at the Winston-Salem YMCA. After boxing out his man in a fundamental manner (typical of Stone, a/k/a "Big Fundamentals"), he lept approximately 7 inches into the air after a loose ball. The force with which he returned to planet earth placed too great of a strain on his tendon and caused the injury.

Treating physicians report that Stone, who went undefeated in Pineapple Cup play in 2008, could be out as long as 10 weeks. Such a recovery period leaves only weeks to prepare for the 2009 Pineapple Cup. Prior to the injury, Stone seemed assured of being a top selection in the draft. Now, it's anyone's guess.

Stone seemed upbeat when reached by the telephone over the weekend. "I am not very good at basketball but I love it. I'm trying to maintain peak fitness through these difficult winter months. Naturally I am frustrated because I had begun an intensive workout routine leading up to the 2009 Pineapple Cup. I have it circled on my calendar. You have my word that I will be on the tee box at the Cup."

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how this affects his draft status? Personally, I had Stone in the top 5 in my draft order before this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stone was a beast last year in each event (especially his singles match against LC). Hopefully this injury will allow a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard that Stone's surgery over the weekend went successfully.
    -LC

    ReplyDelete